Friday, June 24, 2011

Chicago Ribfest

I was planning on writing a review of all the ribs I sampled at the Chicago Ribfest.  However, the best ribs I had that day you couldn't buy.  After a few orders of ribs, my friend Sharon and I were feeling full and thought we would step aside and people watch.  We decided to do so as we were right next to a fairly long line alongside the Wright Bacon Smoker truck (it is huge).  Wright Bacon was giving out Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Wings.  So, obviously there was a line.  Sharon suggested we get in line.  I thought, why not? 

When we got to the Bacon Wrapped Buffalo Wings, I felt this need to tell the man serving them that I had been a vegetarian for 20 years and had been eating meat for 3 months.  Well, you would have thought he hit the jackpot!  I think he was more excited than I was.  He called over his colleague and had him take a photo of me eating their bacon.  Explaining my story they invited us back to their smoker truck for ribs at 6 O'clock.  Now, these ribs were to be their dinner.  They were not ribs for sale at the fest.  Of course I went back at 6 and honestly, they were the best ribs on the street!  THANK YOU WRIGHT BACON!

I don't know what it is but every now and then I have the urge to tell the person serving me meat my recovering vegetarian story.  I don't tell every person who has served me meat, just those that are doing so while the spirit moves me so to speak.  I have to say, nobody has let me down yet when I explain it.  In fact, they are very happy for me.  And let me tell you, after the wonderful bacon and later ribs, I was very happy that I had shared my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment