Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vegetarians Raining Down on Me :)

Recently, I moved to a different department at work.  I really like my new position and with it came a move to a different desk to be with the rest of the team.  Low and behold I am seated next to a Vegetarian.  Now, I have known her and she knew I started eating meat.  She doesn't say much about it and neither do I.  However, she started working out with a personal trainer.  Watching her try to find protein sources reminds me of my struggle trying to do the same.  Protein powder, almond butter, dairy, etc. while they may have protein it's not necessarily complete protein.  Your body does not process protein from grains and other alternative sources the same.  I know what a struggle it is and I just want to say "eat a steak"!  But, we all know there is nothing worse than a reformed whore.

It reminds me of how many changes I have experienced.  As I told you earlier, I sleep through the night now.  In addition, I use to have digestive issues.  Those are gone and so is the depression that manifested after I stopped eating meat.  I have more energy and feel more content.  One thing I recently noticed sounds strange but honestly, I smell better.  In my vegetarian days I hated how I smelt.  I smelt like dead leaves, like autumn.  Now, I'm not sure how to describe how I smell (probably just like other carnivores) but it's not like dead leaves.

Made my weekly run to Whole Foods today and wanted to pick up some more of that lemon rosemary turkey breast slices.  They were out so I inquired about the maple honey turkey breast.  The woman assisting me commented that it sells well but she doesn't eat meat so would I like to taste a sample.  Of course I said yes.  I had to tell her that I had eaten meatless for 20 years and just started eating meat.  The woman standing to the right of me chimed in that she had been a vegetarian for 12 years and began explaining the differences in taste and texture of all the different turkey options.  My God, when I was a vegetarian I was surrounded by meat eaters.  Now, they are all over the place!  Vegetarians are raining down on me.  Am I supposed to be the teacher?  Is the student ready? (reference the Buddhist saying I started this blog by quoting)

Watching Top Chef Masters on Bravo there is this vegetarian chef.  He just went on and on about how meat is bad for you and he works with nutritionists so you should eat a vegi burger instead of a meat burger.  I want to scream at him.  He has no clue!  This is a cooking contest for the Biggest Loser contestants.  They are working out all day.  They need animal protein.  He is in the bottom three.  Justice is being served.  He got on his soap box talking about obesity.  One of the judges responded that you can't link obesity in this country to eating meat.  Exactly!  It's linked to corn, wheat, and grains if you really want to face the truth.  Well, looks like he has to pack his knife's.  He's the biggest loser today.

One more thing off topic, today I weighed myself at the gym and have lost 2 more pounds.  YEAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment